Yeast bun Hot Cross Bun for Easter
These tender yeast buns Hot Cross Bun have a rich spicy flavor. The dough is soft and moderately sweet with a great bouquet of spices. The hot buns are brushed with honey, which gives them an extra spice!
Please rate this recipe
- 300 g wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2.5 tablespoons sugar
- 40 g raisins
- 1 tsp. wheat flour for raisins
- 185 ml cream or milk
- 10 g dry yeast
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp ginger ground
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1 teaspoon anise ground
- 3 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 egg
- 40 g butter
- 1 tbsp. wheat flour for the pastry cream
- 2 tbsp. water for the pastry cream
- 2 tsp honey for the pastry cream
- Sift 300 g wheat flour with salt and 2.5 tbsp sugar in a deep bowl.
- Wash and dry the raisins and dip them in a little flour (1 tsp).
- Pour the dry yeast into the warm cream and stir.
- In a mortar grind cardamom seeds, anise and cloves.
- Add ground ginger, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
- Add the spices to the flour and sift through a fine sieve so that there are no coarse particles from the spice ingredients ground in the mortar in the batter.
- Add the egg yolk and melted butter.
- Pour in the dissolved yeast in the cream.
- Knead everything into a uniform dough.
- Sprinkle the raisins into the dough and stir well.
- Add a little more flour (about 1 tablespoon) and knead the dough for about five minutes.
- Then shape into a ball.
- Put it in a bowl and put it covered in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Knead the dough lightly and divide into 12 pieces of about the same size.
- Shape the dough pieces into balls and place in a baking pan.
- Leave some space between the rolls.
- Let the rolls rest in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
- Prepare the cream for the cross buns: Mix 1 tablespoon of wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of water
- and 2 tsp. honey to a viscous "pastry cream".
- With the blunt side of a knife, press a pattern in the shape of a cross on each bun.
- Spread the pastry cream along these indentations.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Bake the rolls at 190 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 180 degrees and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the finished hot cross buns from the oven and brush each bun with honey.
The rich taste of the spicy Easter rolls unfolds when they are still warm!
- Food processor
- Dough card
- Flour sifter
- Baking pan
Calories: 416kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 8gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 81mgPotassium: 183mgFiber: 3gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 662IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 3mg
* The nutritional values in this recipe are approximate and may differ slightly from the actual value.
Do you like this recipe?Please leave a review!