Russian pierogi with meat and white cabbage filling
These pierogi dumplings with meat and white cabbage filling are a traditional dish of Russian cuisine. In this recipe they are made from yeast dough and ground beef and are simple and easy to make. The pierogies are super tasty, the dough soft and airy, the filling tender and juicy.
Please rate this recipe
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 450-500 g flour
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 240 ml milk + 1 tbsp. for spreading
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp salt
- 250 g beef ground
- ½ onion
- ¼ head cabbage medium
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper ground
Prepare the dough
- Sift the flour.
- In a bowl, mix sugar with 1-2 tablespoons of flour, yeast and 240 ml of warm milk.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes until the yeast dissolves.
- Pour the dissolved yeast milk into a kneading machine.
- Add half of the flour and mix with the dough hook.
- Add melted butter, egg and salt.
- Mix well with the help of the kneading machine.
- Gradually add the remaining flour and knead a soft dough.
- If the dough is still sticky, just add some more flour.
- Form the dough into a ball, place it in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Let the yeast dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Prepare the filling
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Clean and finely slice the white cabbage.
- In a non-stick frying pan, stir-fry the minced meat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mash the meat with a wooden spoon to avoid large lumps of meat.
- Drain the drippings from the pan.
- Add the onions to the meat and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the cabbage and mix well with the meat.
- Sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper the stuffing to taste and let it cool.
Prepare the dumplings
- Dust the work surface with a little flour.
- Divide the dough into 8 roughly equal pieces.
- Roll out a 10-12 cm diameter patty from each piece of dough with a rolling pin and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Put some filling in the center, press the edges firmly together.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the pierogi on the baking sheet with the seam facing down, a little distance apart.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush the pierogi with milk and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Enjoy the warm pirogi with warm tea, coffee or even a glass of milk.
- kneading machine
- Frying pan
- Baking tray
- Flour sifter
- dough roller
- Cooking spoon
Calories: 472kcalCarbohydrates: 65gProtein: 18gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 486mgPotassium: 351mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 259IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 89mgIron: 5mg
* The nutritional values in this recipe are approximate and may differ slightly from the actual value.
Do you like this recipe?Please leave a review!