Pickled onions in lime juice and oregano
Preparation in this way is very popular in many Latin American countries. The vegetables get a pleasant refreshing taste and a rich red color. All that is needed for the preparation are the onions, limes and some salt. If you like, you can add spices like oregano to give the taste a special touch.
Please rate this recipe
- 6 limes
- 280 g onions, red
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp oregano, or other spices to taste
- Squeeze limes with a citrus squeezer; you will need about 180 ml of lime juice.
- Peel onions, cut in half and slice into thin half rings.
- Then place in a glass bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Pour lime juice over onions and stir well.
- Let the onions sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Oregano can be added if desired.
- Then stir well again.
- Finally, transfer the onions with the juice to a sealable jar.
- Press down lightly with a fork so that the onions are completely covered.
- Seal with the lid and let steep in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
- The longer the onions stay in the marinade, the more intense the color will be.
- Citrus juicer
- cutting board
- Glass bowl
- Glass jar with lid