Sweet rolls from yeast dough
The Hot Cross Buns are an English Easter specialty and are baked from Great Britain to Australia with pleasure on Good Friday. The English variant of Easter bread, which is also popular in our country, is prepared from yeast dough and decorated with a cross. The sweet yeast dough rolls are eaten while still warm.
Please rate this recipe
- 500 g flour
- 75 g powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon peel
- pinch salt
- 1 package Dry yeast
- 40 g butter
- 300 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 200 g raisins
- 50 g fruit finely chopped candied
- 75 g flour
- Oil for greasing
- Put the flour, powdered sugar, spices, salt, yeast and lemon zest in a large bowl and mix.
- Melt the butter in a pan and warm the milk in a separate pan. Add the butter and half of the lukewarm milk to the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and knead into a dough.
- Gradually add the remaining milk and knead a soft and elastic dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand.
- Incorporate the raisins and candied fruit and knead the dough lightly with a food processor for 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rest until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and divide into 12 balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet close together and flatten slightly.
- Cover the tray with the rolls tightly with plastic wrap and let rest for 40-60 minutes.
- Put the flour in a bowl with 100 ml of water and mix everything to a paste. Put the mixture in a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake the hot cross buns for about 15-20 minutes until they are light golden brown. Let the yeast buns cool on a rack.
The still warm rolls can be glazed with a warm syrup.
- Food processor
- Mixing spatula
- piping bag
Calories: 596kcalCarbohydrates: 116gProtein: 14gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 93mgPotassium: 479mgFiber: 6gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 314IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 91mgIron: 6mg
* The nutritional values in this recipe are approximate and may differ slightly from the actual value.
Do you like this recipe?Please leave a review!