Caramelized onions with balsamic vinegar from the oven
In this simple recipe, onions are caramelized in the oven in a balsamic sauce. The caramelized onions are perfect as a side dish to grilled meats, hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches and many other dishes. The balsamic sauce gives the onions a slightly sweet and sour note and tastes just great.
Please rate this recipe
- 4-6 onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine, dry
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 stalks thyme
- 2-3 stalks parsley
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Peel the onions and cut them in half.
- Melt butter and mix with olive oil.
- Grease a baking dish with it.
- Place the onions in the dish with the cut side down.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake the onions in the oven at 220°C for 20 minutes.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar, white wine, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven briefly, remove the aluminum foil.
- Turn the onions over and brush with the balsamic sauce.
- Cover the dish again and place in the oven.
- Bake the onions for another 20 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, wash the thyme and parsley, shake dry and chop.
- Remove the caramelized onions from the oven, sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve.
Serve the caramelized onions as a side dish with steaks, burgers, hot dogs or other dishes.
- cutting board
- small bowl
- Pastry brush
- Casserole dish