Kawarma stew with pork and vegetables
Kawarma is a traditional dish of Bulgarian cuisine, prepared from meat and lots of vegetables. In different regions of Bulgaria there are different variants of kawarma dishes. In this recipe, the stew is prepared from pork, various vegetables and mushrooms. All the ingredients are first fried one by one in oil and then cooked in a sauce in the oven. The dish tastes super delicious, the meat is tender and juicy, and the vegetables are particularly flavorful.
Please rate this recipe
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp oregano dried
- 650 g pork meat
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 1 onion
- 5-7 mushrooms
- 1-2 peppers
- 2 to matoes
- 2 carrots
- 4 leeks
- 200 ml water
- Mix black pepper, cumin and oregano in a small bowl.
- Wash meat, pat dry and cut into medium pieces.
- Sprinkle with the spice mixture and mix well.
- Heat 50 ml oil in a frying pan.
- Sear the meat in it on all sides for about 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Wash the tomatoes and dice them as well.
- Clean mushrooms, carrots and leeks and wash well.
- Slice mushrooms and carrots, cut leeks into rings.
- Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and cut into strips.
- Heat the remaining oil in another pan.
- Sauté the onions in it for about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and peppers one by one and sauté the vegetables for another 5 minutes.
- Pour 100 ml of water into the pan and simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Transfer the contents from both pans into a baking dish.
- Add the leeks, 100 ml of water and stir.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and put it in the oven on the middle shelf.
- Let kawarma cook for about 70-90 minutes.
- The cooking time depends on the oven power.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Garnish kawarma with fresh parsley, if desired.
The dish is served with fresh bread and a salad of fresh vegetables. Kawarma can be served with boiled rice, mashed potatoes or noodles as a side dish.
- Cooking spoon
- Vegetable peeler
- cutting board
- Frying pan
- Casserole dish
Calories: 385kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 16gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 70mgPotassium: 535mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 3610IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 2mg
* The nutritional values in this recipe are approximate and may differ slightly from the actual value.
Do you like this recipe?Please leave a review!